Why Firefighters Are Pleading With Cell Phone Users About Chargers – The 1 Hidden Danger


No matter where you are, who you’re around, or what time of day it is  – chances are, someone nearby is on a cell phone. We use these handy little devices to tweet, surf, text, upload, connect…and yes, sometimes even talk.

Technology has certainly become a standard part of our everyday lives, as we become more and more dependent on it – especially our cell phones and tablets. But unfortunately, as with most things, there are hidden risks that users must be aware of…

The Newton, New Hampshire Fire Department recently created a post on their Facebook page regarding cell phone charging related dangers – and the images are quite alarming and disturbing.

In an attempt to raise awareness, the fire department posted information about charging mobile devices while in bed, and about the potential consequences of doing so.

The Facebook post reads:

“Research has revealed that 53% of children/teens charge their phone or tablet either on their bed or under their pillow. This is can be extremely dangerous. The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter.”

And the eye-opening message only became more frightening,

“The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger.”

Chances are, we’re either guilty of charging our phone in this fashion – or, we know someone who is. The following images were also shared by the fire department as part of their mobile device safety reminder…

According to Electrical Safety First, along with keeping chargers away from bedding and flammable surfaces – the charger’s manufacturer plays a large role in safety, as well.

“The finding that over a quarter of all children surveyed have used or purchased a cheap unbranded charger is also extremely worrying. Counterfeit or substandard chargers are the most potentially dangerous counterfeit items Electrical Safety First has tested.”

They then went on to say,

“These chargers often contain faulty parts that can overheat and catch fire or deliver a fatal electric shock.”

Click next page to watch video: