Popular Summertime Food Recalled for Potential to Cause Paralysis, Death


As summer approaches, many people are getting their backyards in tip-top shape. People across America are preparing to have friends and family over for some classic American barbecues, all while enjoying the nice summer weather.

However, one of the most popular summertime dishes could prove deadly. According to reports, a specific brand of salmon is being recalled for a potential botulism risk.

Botulism is a rare and potentially fatal illness caused by a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Symptoms are said to include difficulty swallowing or speaking, facial weakness, and paralysis. It can also be deadly.

“Saber Co. of Anacortes, WA, is recalling more than 1,200 units of their ‘Gerard & Dominique Seafoods’ brand Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox from the marketplace, urging consumers to not eat the products because of concerns of botulism poisoning,” reported Food Safety News.

After recent tests, the company decided to recall the salmon. They performed a water phase salt test and it came in below 3.5%, promoting the recall.

“Labeling instructions state to freeze or refrigerate, once thawed they can be kept unopened in the fridge for up to 30 days,” the recall says. “ However, because the water phase salt is under 3.5 percent, the product must remain frozen until ready to consume.” The recall also stated that “keeping the product in the refrigerator after thawing in a reduced oxygen package has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum.”

The specific salmon in question is Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox. The following clear packages are in question:

-“Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox”, with the affected lot number “CSCO-17339”, Pack Date “17-340”

-“Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox” was packaged in a reduced oxygen packaging, net wt. 3 oz. (85g), and has the UPC number “7 52047 92635 4”.

The company is asking anyone who has the fish to not eat it. If you have, you should look for symptoms of botulism poisoning. It can start within 18-36 hours after consumption. The company is recommending that anyone who thinks they may have symptoms to consult a doctor right away.

What do you think about this? Let us know! Be sure to read our breaking news article about the horrible news that was just reported about Barron Trump. He could really use some prayers right now.